Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

West Newbury MA

West Newbury MA

West Newbury’s history as a town really began in 1635 when 23 men and their families, all from England, sailed through Plum Island Sound and up the Parker River, landing in Newbury. As more settlers arrived and families increased, land in Newbury became scarce, and some people moved westward to the “upper woods” beyond the Artichoke River. The town granted large parcels of land to early settlers: in 1638, 300 acres to Edward Rawson; in 1644, 80 acres to John Emery; in 1659, 103 acres to Francis Browne, all around the Artichoke River. In 1663, Capt. William Gerrish was granted 260 acres at the Groveland line. What was referred to as the “first division of lots” occurred in 1686, parceling out the remaining land between the Bradford Road and the Merrimack River, from the land of Emery to that of Gerrish. The rest of what became West Newbury was granted to settlers in five subsequent divisions.

In 1819 West Newbury finally became a separate town from Newbury, after years of petitioning the General Court of Massachusetts for that privilege.

Acushnet MA
Get in Touch







    Skymax Realty Agent

    Skymax Realty Agent

    617-921-4758
    617-863-4700
    617-953-0558

    will@skymaxrealty.com

    Buy any West Newbury property with a
    Skymax Realty agent and receive the
    50% Home Buyer Rebate

    loading
    loading
    loading
    loading
    $
    $
    $
    $
    $
    $
    Click or tap on the map to begin. To edit your completed polygon, drag any point to a new location.