Abington was originally part of the Bridgewater Purchase made on March 23, 1650 from Massasoit, Chief of the Wampanoag Federation. The Bridgewater Purchase was part of the major Indian trail Satucket Path (Algonkian word for “great pouring forth river place”), near where Adams and Washington Street are located today. Before it was entitled Abington, it was known by the Algonkians as MANA-MO-OSKE-AGIN, meaning “great green place of shaking greens,” due to its beautiful meadows and streams. Andrew Ford became Abington’s first settler in 1672; Andrew Ford Way, a road in Abington, is named in his honor. By 1712, 17 homes had been built in Abington. Shoe-making was the first major industry in Abington, starting in 1820 and continuing into the 20th century.
Get in Touch
Work with this Skymax Realty Agent and Receive a 50% Home Buyer Rebate