Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

East Longmeadow MA

East Longmeadow MA

The red and brown sandstone became a widely used building material in the latter half of the nineteenth century, leading to its use in buildings and monuments across the United States, including the Smithsonian Institution in our nation’s capitol. The formation of over fifty sandstone quarries lead to settlement and migration to the area of hundreds of Swedish, French Canadian and Italian stonemasons and stone cutters, a diverse group that enriched and transformed the town’s social and cultural framework.

The new lucrative industry created an imbalance between the area that now constitutes East Longmeadow (known at that time as the East Village) and that which constitutes Longmeadow (known at the time as The Street), where the East paid one third of the taxes but had two thirds of the population. In 1894, upon a petition by The Street’s residents, the State Legislature granted a partition granting a 13.4 square mile tract of former Longmeadow land to the new town of East Longmeadow.

Acushnet MA
Get in Touch







    Skymax Realty Agent

    Skymax Realty Agent

    617-921-4758
    617-863-4700
    617-953-0558

    will@skymaxrealty.com

    Buy any East Longmeadow property with a
    Skymax Realty agent and receive the
    50% Home Buyer Rebate

    loading
    loading
    loading
    loading
    $
    $
    $
    $
    $
    $
    Click or tap on the map to begin. To edit your completed polygon, drag any point to a new location.